Istanbul Archaeology Museum, both located in historic buildings and historic work of more than 1 million thanks to both Turkey continues to maintain its importance in the world. The museums, which are visited by both local and foreign tourists from all over the world every year, are located within the borders of Istanbul. To reach the Archeology Museums, which are affiliated to the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, you should go to Sultanahmet and follow Osman Hamdi Bey Slope, which goes from the Gülhane Park to Topkapı Palace. The most important reason for using a plural expression as Istanbul Archeology Museums; There are three separate museums, the Old Orient Works Museum, the Tiled Kiosk Museum, and the Archeology Museum.
What is its History?
Archaeological Museum, built by the famous architect of the time, Alexandre Vallaury, at the request of Osman Hamdi Bey, who was a museum, painter, and archaeologist between 1887 and 1888, contains thousands of important works. A museum was needed for the important works brought from the Sidon King Necropolis Excavation, which was considered the most important and successful discovery of the period. The biggest aim of building a museum is; These works include masterpieces such as İskender Lahdi and Tabnit Lahdi. The museum was opened to visitors about four years after the start of the construction date. The opening date of the museum, 13 June 1891, is still known as the day of museums today.
The left wing was added to the Archaeological Museum in 1903 and the right wing in 1907. In this way, today’s main museum building has been completed. However, later on, in the southeast part of the museum building, new exhibition halls were needed and various additions were made between 1969 and 1983 and this was named as an additional building. Turkey’s first museum to have the title of having the Istanbul Archaeological Museum, also is among the museum was built with the aim of becoming the world with a nominal period of 8-10 structure. Therefore, it has a very important place in the world. At the same time, Archeology Museums, which retain their place and importance in the world with their works reflecting various cultural elements of many different ethnic groups, are called living history. Istanbul Archeology Museums, selected as the museum of the year in 1993, have been awarded the Council of Europe Museum Award.
Old Oriental Works Museum
The Old Oriental Works Museum, built at the request of Osman Hamdi Bey under the name of Sanayi-i Nefise Mektebi Alisi (Academy of Fine Arts) in 1883, was used as a school for a long time. Later, due to the transfer of the Academy to Cağaloğlu, upon the order of Halil Edhem Bey, this school was converted into a museum between 1917-1919. The reason for being converted into a museum is to display the old cultural documents of the Near East countries to the public.
In the museum; Many works belonging to Mesopotamia, Arabia, Anatolia, and Egypt are on display. While the works of Egypt and Arabia exhibited in the museum belong to the pre-Islamic period, Mesopotamian and Anatolian artifacts, and the pre-Greek periods. The works are included in a historical classification and cultures are presented by rearranging them according to the different historical development orders. The new display method has met with visitors since 8 September 2000.
Tiled Kiosk Museum
There is not much information about the Tiled Kiosk, which was known to be built inside the walls of Sarayburnu and Topkapı in 1472. The building, which was built with the Seljuk influence, is the only example of Ottoman civil architecture in Istanbul.
Tiled Pavilion was converted into a museum as the Imperial Museum as of 1880. The reason why the mansion was turned into a museum is that a special area is needed for the display of archaeological and Islamic artifacts. In 1939, the building was transferred to the Topkapı Palace Museum and the artifacts contained in it were distributed to different museums.
Thus, the Tiled Kiosk Museum lost its function as a museum. The building, which was restored due to the 500th conquest year of Istanbul in 1995, was opened to visitors again as Fatih Museum. Later, the building, which continued to serve as a museum, was used to display the works of Turkish Islam and Ottoman tiles.
Istanbul Archaeological Museums
As of 1981, the Tiled Kiosk Museum was connected to the Istanbul Archaeological Museums and in this museum tile and ceramic works belonging to the Seljuk – Ottoman periods started to be exhibited. The building, which underwent various restoration processes at different dates, was completed and opened to visitors in 2005.